The ULySS package requires the GDL
(free) or IDL
The sources, the models and some demonstration data can be downloaded as
a single gzipped tar file containing routines, models and data:
There is a unix configuration script and a makefile to test some dependencies
and to set the paths to the sources. After unpacking the tar file,
type in the main directory: make install
. (the package was also reported to work
under M-S windows, but is not routinely tested with this system).
file uly_startup.pro, automatically created
when the package is installed, can conveniently be called from the
This package is free software distributed under the terms of the
GNU General Public License
in the hope it will be useful. We would also be pleased to bring
our expertise and collaborate to projects that would use the package.
Beside the official distribution of the package, you may
wish to download other models or
If ULySS was helpful to your research an acknowledgment would be appreciated:
- Cite the paper: Koleva, M., Prugniel, Ph., Bouchard, A. and Wu, Y., 2009, A&A 501, 1269 (arXiv:0903.2979). If you use the SSP models, you should cite also Koleva et al. 2008 MNRAS, 385, 1998, where a validation is presented.
- Indicate the URL of the ULySS home page as a footnote.
The following articles describe or validate the method or present applications:
- Prugniel, Ph., Vauglin, I., Koleva, M., 2011, The atmospheric parameters and spectral interpolator for the MILES stars, A&A, 531, A165
- Koleva, M., De Rijcke, S., Prugniel, Ph., Zeilinger, W. W., Michielsen, D., 2009, Formation and Evolution of Dwarf Elliptical Galaxies - II. Spatially resolved star-formation histories, MNRAS, 396, 2133
- Koleva, M., Gupta, R., Prugniel, Ph., Singh, H., 2008, Age, Metallicity and alpha-element Abundances in Stellar Populations, ASPCS, 390, 302
- Koleva, M., Prugniel, Ph., Ocvirk, P., Le Borgne, D., Soubiran, C., 2008, Spectroscopic ages and metallicities of stellar populations: validation of full spectrum fitting, MNRAS, 385, 1998
- Michielsen, D., Koleva, M., Prugniel, Ph., 2007, Toward a Solution for the Ca II Triplet Puzzle: Results from Dwarf Elliptical Galaxies, ApJ 670, L101
- Koleva, M., Prugniel, Ph., Ocvirk, P., Le Borgne, D., 2007, Age and metallicity of Galactic clusters from full spectrum fitting, IAUS 241, 185
- Koleva, M., Prugniel, Ph., Ocvirk, P., Le Borgne, D., Chilingarian, I., Soubiran, C., 2007, Comparison of different spectral population models, IAUS 241, 183
- Prugniel, Ph., Koleva, M., Ocvirk, P., Le Borgne, D., Soubiran, C., 2007, Analysis of stellar populations with large empirical libraries at high spectral resolution, IAUS 241, 68
- Koleva, M., Bavouzet, N., Chilingarian, I., Prugniel, P., 2007, Validation of Stellar Population and Kinematical Analysis of Galaxies, 2007spts.conf..153K
These other articles are also worth to mention since they describe
- Ocvirk, P., Pichon, C., Lancon, A., Thiebaut, E., 2006,
STECKMAP: STEllar Content and Kinematics from high resolution galactic spectra via Maximum A Posteriori, MNRAS, 365, 74
- Ocvirk, P., Pichon, C., Lancon, A.; Thiebaut, E., 2006, STECMAP: STEllar Content from high-resolution galactic spectra via Maximum A Posteriori, MNRAS, 365, 46
- Chilingarian, Igor; Prugniel, Philippe; Sil'Chenko, Olga; Koleva, Mina, 2007, NBursts: Simultaneous Extraction of Internal Kinematics and Parametrized SFH from Integrated Light Spectra, IAUS, 241, 175
- M. Cappellari and E. Emsellem, Parametric Recovery of Line-of-Sight Velocity Distributions from Absorption-Line Spectra of Galaxies via Penalized Likelihood, PASP, 116, 138
ULySS uses functions from the
Astronomy User's Library
whose installation is a pre-requisite.
Other libraries are also used, and for convenience the sources are
included in the directory dep:
- MPFIT, Craig Markwardt GDL/IDL implementation of the MINPACK-1 algorithm
(by Moré et al., 1980, available in netlib). Levenberg-Marquart minimization [Note that ULySS has been tested with a 2008 version of this program, included in the 'dep/' directory].
- PRO2HTML, fr
om Erin Sheldon, HTML rendering of a source program.
- Graphic programs from David Fanning.
The development of ULySS started from an adaptation of the
program of M. Cappellari, and we kept
from this program the principle of optimizing the linear parameters
within the Levenberg-Marquart iteration (in the user's function), as
well as the penalization for the Gauss-Hermite coefficients of the
Several students contributed to the development and tests of these programs.
The authors of ULySS acknowledge in particular Nicolas Bavouzet,
Paul Blondé, Igor Chilingarian and Martin France.
The development benefited also from many tutorials and programming tips
published on the web. In particular the
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming by David Fanning is a real gold
mine for the IDL developers.
Contact: ulyss at obs.univ-lyon1.fr
Last modified: Wednesday, 24-Feb-2016 11:23:34 CET.|